The National Hospital Insurance Fund (NHIF) is a government parastatal that provides Kenyans over the age of 18 with medical insurance. It was established in 1966 as a department under the Ministry of Health (MOH). You don’t have to be employed to be eligible for NHIF membership. There are two ways to pay monthly NHIF contributions, through a bank (employed individuals)+ or via M-Pesa (self-employed).
With over 6 Million members, NHIF covers inpatient and outpatient services, and maternity services, among other services.
How to pay NHIF via M-Pesa
- Go your sim tool kit or M-Pesa App
- Select Lipa na M-Pesa
- Choose Paybill
- Enter Business Number 200222
- Select Account Number and enter your ID Number
- Enter the amount (Ksh 500/pm)
- Confirm whether your details are correct
- Enter your M-Pesa pin
- Press send and wait for the confirmation SMS
How to register for NHIF online
Anybody is eligible for NHIF registration whether you’re in the formal or informal sector. For the formal sector people, it is compulsory to be a member of NHIF.
To register for NHIF, Visit any of their branches countrywide or go to the online portal http://registeronline.nhif.or.ke/member/
To see the NHIF branches go to http://www.nhif.or.ke/healthinsurance/
You’re required to have a National ID/Passport/Alien ID, and a phone number to register as a member.
- Go to the menu and click self-employed
- Enter your National ID/Passport/Alien ID
- Fill in all form fields
- Attach a Scanned Copy of Your ID/PassPort/Alien ID
- Attach Passport Photo
- If married, attach Your Marriage Certificate
- Click Save. If you filled in all fields, the application will be submitted
- The system will notify you of the Application Status
- The system will also send a notification SMS to the Contributor’s Mobile Number
How can I contact NHIF?
Fax: (020) 271 4806
P.O. BOX 30443-00100, Nairobi, Kenya
Toll-Free Telephone: 0800 720 601
NHIF payment deadline/What is the due date for paying NHIF?
The payment due date for self-employed NHIF members is date 9 of every month.
How much is NHIF penalty for late payment?
Employers who fail to remit funds on time or after the 9th of each month face a 25% penalty and must pay all medical bills for employees who become ill during the default period, according to the NHIF Bill. Individual contributors who do not pay their premiums by the 9th of each month face a 50% penalty (Ksh 250).
How do I check my NHIF penalties?
- Head to the NHIF self-care portal https://nhifcare.co.ke/landing/#home
- Enter your ID number to Log in
- One time password will be sent to the Simcard you’ve registered NHIF with
- Enter the OTP to proceed
- On the left menu bar, you’ll find a “Status” menu where you can check for penalties and other details.