Being one of the biggest messaging apps with over 2 Billion users globally, Whatsapp always keeps things updated for better user experience.
The notice touches three key updates that affect how whatsapp processes user’s data, how business can use Facebook hosted services to store and manage data and how they will partner with Facebook to offer integrations across the Facebook Company Products.
The changes are expected to be effective starting 8th February. Users will not have any other choice but to agree to these changes so as to continue using Whatsapp.
In July last year Whatsapp announced similar changes although they gave users an option not to have user’s information shared on Facebook. It is however not the case in the latest update.
The users will be forced to accept the changes for them to continue using the App.
It is important to note that Whatsapp has become one of the most used messaging apps in the globe, a lot of people rely on the services to connect with their family and friends.
This is how other Facebook companies may use the information collected on Whatsapp.
- Helping improve infrastructure and delivery systems.
- Understanding how our Services or theirs are used.
- Promoting safety, security and integrity across the Facebook Company Products, e.g., security systems and fighting spam, threads, abuse, or infringement activities.
- Providing integrations which enable you to connect your WhatsApp experiences with other Facebook Company Products. For example, allowing you to connect your Facebook Pay account to pay for things on WhatsApp or enabling you to chat with your friends on other Facebook Company Products, such as Portal, by connecting your WhatsApp account.
- Improving their services and your experiences using them, such as making suggestions for you (for example, of friends or group connections, or of interesting content), personalizing features and content, helping you complete purchases and transactions, and showing relevant offers and ads across the Facebook Company Products.
Facebook’s larger goal is to provide more cohesive experience to users across all its services. This however raises privacy concerns.
Leave a Reply